Many of you will be holding your final Fantasy Football drafts for the 2019 season this weekend. I’m also drafting this weekend (with a hurricane off of the coast), and this will be the strategy that will hopefully propel me (and you) to a championship.
Try to take a top 5 running back first: Saquon Barkley is the undisputed number 1 pick. Grab him. If you can’t then you’ll have some thinking to do. You could hope that Ezekiel Elliot signs with the Cowboys soon, David Johnson has seen his stock rise, Christian McCaffrey will be a number 1 for many, and Alvin Kamara would just be plain terrific. You should be fine with any of them. Things get a little cloudy after that.
Devanta, Julio, DeAndre, O’Dell for WR or just wait: If you’re drafting later in the first round, I wouldn’t be mad at a Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, or Devanta Adams selection. You could even grab O’Dell slightly later after that. There is a drop in talent following this group, so you could just wait and fill other needs.
Then grab Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, or Travis Kelce: By this point you should have either a top tier running back or wide receiver in the first round or so. I’m high on Patrick Mahomes this year, if he’s there late round 2 or early round 3, I’d take him. I’m less high on Aaron Rodgers but he actually has to play well this season or else, and we all know he can.
There is also Travis Kelce, who is the best tight end in the draft. If you don’t like Mahomes or Rodgers, or perhaps they’re gone when you pick, you need to strongly consider him.
Then go back to the RB well: I like Todd Gurley, Le’Veon Bell, and James Conner here. You could also go Nick Chubb or Dalvin Cook. If Melvin Gordon decides to sign late, you could also grab him.
Other second tier options: By now, hopefully you have your big points guys. You’re going for depth now. Take a look at these guys.
DeShaun Watson, Baker Mayfield, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan
Nick Chubb, Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon, Melvin Gordon, Damien Williams
Antonio Brown, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Tyreek Hill, Michael Thomas, Mike Evans
George Kittle, Zach Ertz, Eric Ebron, Evan Engram, OJ Howard.
Frank’s Final 2019 draft board: Best Players available
- Saquon Barkely, RB, New York Giants
- Patrick Mahomes, QB, Kansas City Chiefs
- Alvin Kamara, RB, New Orleans Saints
- Christian McCaffrey, RB, Carolina Panthers
- David Johnson, RB, Arizona Cardinals
- Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Dallas Cowboys
- Todd Gurley, RB, Los Angeles Rams
- Julio Jones, WR, Atlanta Falcons
- Travis Kelce, TE, Kansas City Chiefs
- Le’Veon Bell, RB, New York Jets
- Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers
- O’Dell Beckham Jr, WR, Cleveland Browns
- Davante Adams, WR, Green Bay Packers
- James Conner, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers
- DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Houston Texans
- Dalvin Cook, RB, Minnesota Vikings
- Nick Chubb, RB, Cleveland Browns
- Tyreek Hill, WR, Kansas City Chiefs
- Antonio Brown, WR, Oakland Raiders
- Ju-Ju Smith Schuster, WR, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Joe Mixon, RB, Cleveland Browns
- Josh Jacobs, RB, Oakland Raiders
- Mike Evans, WR, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Baker Mayfield, QB, Cleveland Browns
- Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta Falcons